Dress code policy draws student protest

Zyenna Martinez

A small group of students are shown protesting the schoo’ls dress code policy during the lunch pep rally on Aug. 27.

Syd Brock, Editor-In-Chief

In late August a social media flyer started a movement of protest amongst El Paso High School students against the dress code policy.

Multiple students had expressed their disagreement with the way the policy was written and enforced.

“The typical dress code policy is to cover the four B’s, which I don’t think is too much to ask for,” senior Lindsey Williams said. “But, I feel as though a lot of teachers go out of their way to say what we are wearing makes them uncomfortable, which I think is a bigger issue than the dress code itself.”

Lindsey added how their goal with the protest was to make the dress code more accommodating to different body types; because not everyone looks the same in the same t-shirt.

“First we were made aware of a flyer that was going around which was upset about the dress code,” Principal Mark Paz said. “We tried to prevent the protest only because if we’re going to have any real change, we’re going to need more information.”

This resulted in a survey being put out a day before the protest in order to get some input from the students, asking students what they think should be changed. However, the protest still took place that following Friday.

“We do have a committee that contributes to the dress code policy and changes have been made before, but there are still rules that need to be followed,” Mr.Paz said.

As administration attempted to diffuse the situation, students proceeded to voice for change of policy.

“The dress code can’t be completely coding to female presenting students, if there are so many rules to follow there should be just as many for male students,” Lindsey said.

Many of the students involved insisted the purpose of the protest was to change the way they enforced the dress code rather than the policy itself.

“I thought it was one thing but once I saw the signs and the protesters, I thought it was one thing and then it seemed to be a completely different thing in terms of reasoning,” sophomore Teresa De La Peña-Franceschi said.

The protest resulted in a group of students marching around the outskirts of EPHS with signs chanting, “Hey Hey, Ho Ho, dress codes got to go.” This lasted the entirety of the lunch period that day and allowed the students to express their frustration.

“I am sick and tired of watching my fellow classmates, especially female classmates, become insecure about their bodies because of the way this code makes them feel,” freshman Rico Garcia said. “No matter what, I’m going to pick up a sign and stand with them. Our bodies are not a distraction.”