The Tatler

Tigers Nearly Perfect En Route To Fifth Consecutive District Title

The+Tigers+volleyball+team+celebrates+after+defeating+district+rival%2C+Chapin%2C+on+Sept.12.+
The Tigers volleyball team celebrates after defeating district rival, Chapin, on Sept.12.

Joel Fong

Joel Fong

Mohammad Abdeljaber, Reporter

The El Paso High School volleyball team showed an extraordinary performance this season, winning their fifth consecutive district and bi-district 1-5A championships finishing the season 13-1 in district play only losing to Burges.

“The volleyball players show one hundred percent effort, every time they are both on and off the court,” Coach Yesenia Alarcon said.

Seniors, Marcell Tiscareno, Emily Perez and Estefania Martinez pushed their teammates in working harder each day and preparing them for another deep playoff run.

Sophomore, Aida Balcorta enjoyed playing volleyball for this team and hopes to become captain her senior year. She’s shown excellence on the court trying to help others perfect their work.

Balcorta had much to say about how she communicates with the other players, being that she plays both center and defensive specialists.

“Talking a lot is our main focus, being able to correct each other’s mistakes is what’s going the difference between the opponents and us,” Balcorta said.

Captains Perez and Jordan Rash show leadership for their team by focusing on overcoming obstacles in order to guarantee themselves another championship.

“As captain, I make sure we are working together, this is the key when we are playing on the court,” Perez said. “Being positive and having great energy is what really makes this team so united.”

Perez who has committed to the University of Incarnate Word in San Antonio, TX  where she’ll begin her collegiate playing career, signed her scholarship offer on Nov. 9 in front of her family, coaches, friends and teammates; she became the first volleyball player from EPHS to sign a Division I scholarship.

However, sophomore Alyssa Sianez, plans in leaving a memorable experience in playing volleyball. She has pressure on her shoulder considering she is the last of four sisters who have played for the El Paso High volleyball team as well.

“Alyssa is very committed in playing this sport, her passes and defense really stand out, as well as her sportsmanship towards all the rest of the team,” coach Alarcon said.

As the volleyball team made their last strike attempt, it’s hard to overlook their dedication and endless amount of effort they have put in to being number one in their district.

Taking time and understanding the other team’s strategies is how the Tigers are able to dominate and conquer most courts they step foot on.

“I have always loved playing volleyball especially for this school, the fact that we are so close is how we are able to overcome challenges. This being my last year, I must make it the best year, by working hard and not giving up easily,” Tiscareno said.

The Tigers fell short of their goal to advance deeper into the playoffs after losing to Canyon in three sets on Nov. 2. Coach Alarcon points to the teams resilience in their overall performance of what this team has to offer.

“Never giving up and great leadership that is portrayed in this team is what makes us the mighty tigers,” coach Alarcon said.

Joel Fong and Abigail Benavides
The Tigers won their fifth consecutive bi-district championship before losing to Canyon in the playoff.