The Tatler

Hanks Spoils Homecoming As Tigers Drop To 2-2

Senior+running+back%2C+Mario+Chavez%2C+breaks+through+a+tackle+during+the+39-13+loss+to+Hanks+on+homecoming+night.+
Senior running back, Mario Chavez, breaks through a tackle during the 39-13 loss to Hanks on homecoming night.

Carlos Hernandez, Reporter

The Tigers opened their homecoming game with a kickoff returned 90-yards for the touchdown by senior, Marko Kennedy, but found themselves unable to stop the visiting Hanks Knights in the first half who scored 33 unanswered points to lead the El Paso by 26 at halftime in their 39-13 loss.

Hanks quarterback, Chris Molina began to do a little bit of everything for his Knights in the first half. By throwing for three touchdowns and even keeping the ball himself and rushing for another two scores.

“The first half of the game that we just played wasn’t us,” senior running back, Mario Chavez said. “Our heads were not in the game. Homecoming week threw our mind off the tracks.”

With the Tigers wanting to give their home fans some hope for a comeback they began the second half with an onside kick recovery. The team capitalized on the good field position to cut the Hanks lead.

Junior quarterback, Zach Rodriguez, threw an absolute beauty of a pass, over the defender to senior, David Gonzalez for a 30-yard touchdown.

The Knights had no trouble answering back on the following drive with a pass to a wide-open, Aaron Candelaria for a 53-yard touchdown to push the lead back up 26 points.

With around three minutes into the 4th quarter starting quarterback Zach Rodriguez was knocked out of the game with a suspected injury giving the spotlight to senior backup quarterback and free safety, Nate Duran.

This new change in quarterback did not phase the Knights’ as they stopped the Tigers multiple times deep into their territory both times causing turnovers to seal the win.

The Tigers fall to a record of 2-2 overall record, still in search of their first home win and will start district play against Bowie this Friday, Sept. 28 at R.R. Jones stadium.

“We need to forget and learn from this loss and don’t let it becoming a distraction in late games,” Duran said. “We have to be prepared for Bowie that’s coming here next week.”